Young Composers' Workshop 2018
Select Compositions from Previous Workshops
2018 Young Composers' Workshop
Fifteen composition students, ages 14-20, will participate in the 2018 Sunset ChamberFest Young Composers' Workshop. Each participating student will be given the opportunity to compose a new work with the instruments clarinet, flute, violin, cello, and piano which will be workshopped and professionally recorded by Sunset ChamberFest's performing artists. Each student will receive two private lessons from one of the composition faculty prior to the workshop. In addition to the workshop, students will be recognized at the ChamberFest concerts on June 15th, 16th, and 17th. One piece from last year’s workshop will be premiered at these concerts and a piece from the 2018 workshop will be chosen to be premiered the following season. All participants will be admitted free of charge to all ChamberFest concerts.
- 2 private composition lessons before the festival
- A 30-minute workshop rehearsal of the piece as well as the opportunity to watch other rehearsals
- 60 minutes rehearsal time by performing artists guaranteed after the initial workshop
- A professional recording of the piece
- Discussion with musicians on extended techniques of their instruments
- Lectures with composition faculty
- Recognition in concerts in Los Feliz, Glendale, and Hollywood
- The chance to have the piece premiered in Sunset ChamberFest 2018
Workshop alumni have won competitions and have been accepted to music festivals with Sunset ChamberFest recordings. They have gone on to attend major institutions such as Juilliard, Curtis, Harvard, USC, and UCLA.
June 9th - 17th
* Lessons prior to the festival will accommodate student and teacher availability
Workshop events are generously hosted by the Glendale City Church and the performance/recording is hosted by the Brain and Creativity Institute of USC at Cammilleri Hall.
The fee for the 2018 SCF Young Composers’ Workshop is $500
Two need-based full scholarships will be provided to students still in high school. Please apply for a scholarship if you qualify.
2018 Composition Faculty